Sunday 25 January 2015

R E - W O R K /// Re-merching my glass door cabinet

Hi everyone,
First of all, I hope you're all managing to stay warm and content. We're in the dead of winter now and it's a full-time job staying motivated and happy. With that said, I have been working hard at keeping busy myself. Today I wanted to stay in, but couldn't find it in me to spend the afternoon on the couch watching re-runs of Suits (tempting, though), so I decided to re-merchandise my cabinet. I live in a war-era triplex in Montreal, and one of its charms is the glass door cabinet in the living room.

When my boyfriend and I were apartment-hunting, we knew this was the right apartment for so many reasons, and this was one of them. I knew it would be practical as a storage space, but I was really excited to make it look beautiful too. Over time it has been accumulating junk, so I took today's cold weather as an excuse to stay in and re-merch it.


The first item to go in the cabinet was our collection of wine glasses. I love using glass to decorate with because it adds layers and texture without adding color. With this space, I really pick and choose how and where I add colors.




On the bottom of the cabinet, I made a curtain out of the left over white material from the bedroom curtains I made to hide books and junk that we don't use, but don't need often, and definitely don't need to see. It added an extra function to the cabinet that I was very glad to think of since we are short on storage as it is.



I finally have a place to store my grandmother's tea set without it getting in my way, and I added some little toys I used to collect but don't want to get rid of. With the bourbon bottle and Chanel bag in the background, it's one of my favorite areas of the cabinet. A little kitsch never hurt anyone!



At the highest shelf, I store seasonal and tall pieces. And again, you would never know that behind the white pillow and picture frame we have an unsightly collection of DVDs, CDs and nick-nacks that again, I just cant bring myself to part with, but dont want to see.


That's it for today! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It really makes me happy every time I look at this space. More projects to come this year ;)

Ciao and have a good week,
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment